- ACCION works in the following areas to further the development of the microfinance industry
- Services to Build and Expand Microfinance Institutions (MFIs)
- Access to Capital Markets
- Leadership and Innovation
- Our proven commercial approach is
designed to enable our partner institutions to reach profitability and significant numbers of
low-income businesses and households with financial services tailored to their needs. ACCION offers
the following services when partnering with institutions:
- We provide early stage equity, quasi-equity financing and loan guarantees in order to help MFIs become independent of donor funds, attract deposits and attain financial leverage. ACCION links MFIs to commercial banks and capital markets by guaranteeing local currency borrowings and the issuance of fixed-income instruments. In addition, ACCION invest in new technologies that can powerfully enhance the way that financial services are delivered to the poor.
- We provide management services by deploying teams of managers to work in select partner institutions for a period of time - in roles such as CEO, commercial manager, operations manager, and training and product development manager. These management teams develop strategies, policies and tools - aligned with best practices - to train local MFI managers and build institutional capacity for the long term.
- We also offer technical assistance by sending advisors to work closely with our partners, providing them with strategic and tactical guidance on designing, implementing and strengthening microfinance products and services.
- We have also launched the Center for Financial Inclusion, a
collaborative effort to advance the commercial model of microfinance while upholding the interests
and needs of poor clients worldwide.